It is very difficult to read and understand old alchemical texts, for several reasons:
- alchemists used to hide their knowledge
- our cultural background is very different from the 15th or 17th century
- many authors just copy older texts with small modifications, introducing variations and contradictions among texts
- these old texts mix Esoterism and old science, so you have to filter useless old science from useful Esoterism.
- it is necessary to study Kabbalah, and perhaps some Persian and Indian knowledge before understanding the Great Work meaning and Alchemy.
Yet, if you study these texts, you will learn that a special alchemical process occurs:
1. this process involves metallic transformations in a certain order, from lead to gold: lead, tin, silver, mercury, iron, copper and finally gold. (there are some variations, omissions, etc... among authors, but this is the more reliable succession; for example, see John Dee "THE HIEROGLYPHIC MONAD" 1564):
John Dee "THE HIEROGLYPHIC MONAD" 1564
|Succession of events in the alchemical process and usual esoteric correspondences Planet/Metal/Color|
|From alch1 to alch7, from Saturn to Sun, from Lead to Gold|
Note that this succession is specific to alchemy ; in other esoteric fields, the most common orders are: Moon (Monday)> Mars (Tuesday)> Mercury (Wednesday)> Jupiter (Thursday)> Venus (Friday)> Saturn (Saturday)> Sun (Sunday) oe the astrological succession Saturn>Jupiter>Mars>Sun>Venus>Mercury>Moon.
Therefore, the alchemical order is very different from usual esoteric successions and this needs to be understood.
2. the process refers to a certain philosophical stone, whose color changes from black, to white, to red, to gold. It is very close from the succession of metals, since Lead corresponds to black (step 1), later Silver corresponds to white (step 3), Iron corresponds to red (step 5), and finally Gold corresponds to golden (final step 7).
|alchemy 1||Saturn||Lead||Black Stone|
|alchemy 3||Moon||Silver||White Stone|
|alchemy 5||Mars||Iron||Red Stone|
|alchemy 7||Sun||Gold||Golden Stone|
The succession of planets and the succession of stones are consistent.
3. two raw materials seem to be used, with many correspondences:
Of course, such a couple symbolizes female and male principles, yin and Yang, passivity and activity.
The use of water and fire suggests alchemy has to do with the theory of elements.
5. going further, the alchemical process includes the 4 elements in a certain order:
"A fire that becomes earth. Separate the earth from the fire, so you will attain the subtle as more inherent than the gross, with care and sagacity." (Arabic Version of the Emerald Tablet of Hermes)
It means fire>earth
Many other texts claim a vaporization occurs and is of great importance: vaporization means water>air
And the same texts claim that after vaporization, a fixation occurs by heating: air > fire (heating) > earth (fixed)
So we have the complete succession: water > air (vaporization) > fire (heating) > earth (fixed)
Once fixity is achieved, old texts explain you have a white philosophical stone and only after it had to become red then gold.
What is of great significance is that we already studied this order: water>air>fire>earth : it is the elemental succession of the ancient Greeks, which was known long before Aristotle :
It means these alchemical texts referred to the seasonal succession used in Ancient Greece.
6. Another ancient text, The Turba philosophorum also claims seasons are involved in the alchemical process :
"Know, also, that the year is divided into four seasons; the first season is of a frigid complexion, and this is Winter; the second is of the complexion of air, and this is Spring; then follows the third, which is summer, and is of the complexion of fire; lastly, there is the fourth, wherein fruits are matured, which is Autumn. In this manner, therefore, ye are to rule your natures, namely, to dissolve ill winter, to cook in spring, to coagulate in summer, and to gather and tinge the fruit in autumn." The Turba philosophorum
Here is the NATURAL seasonal succession used in Ancient Greece and connected to the model we already developed.
A REVERSE seasonal succession may also be used, connected to spirituality (contra - natural) :
7. there are curious and symbolic pictures in alchemical books, and they seem to hide secrets:
The moon symbolizes yin, the sun Yang. More, there is a succession of spheres from earth to sky, from matter to spirit, just like chakras.
We already studied that (matter/spirit) and (yin/Yang) are gathered in the Tree of Life. (see article)
Is there a relation between alchemy and the Tree of Life ???
The answer is yes, for many reasons:
- several drawings in old alchemical texts show a man, the tree of life, and planets:
- let's consider correspondences whe already developed between chakras, planets and alchemical metals.
|N°||Psychological functions, Symbolism||Chakra||Physiological functions||Planet||Metal|
|10||Spirituality = completion = 10||Crown (Sahasrara)||Pineal gland; regulates night and day||1st Swirling||---|
|9||Imagination, Artistic abilities,
art = closest to completion = 9
|yin Chandra Ajna area||Thalamic area, helps pituitary gland||Zodiac||---|
|8||Rationality = structures = cubic = 8 corners||Yang Surya: Ajna area||Pituitary gland, controls other glands||Saturn||lead|
|7||Justice = law of God = 7||yin Visuddha||Throat||Jupiter||tin|
|6||Ego, communication = 6||Yang Visuddha||To speak, mouth||Mars||iron|
|5||Love, Openness = Humanity = 5||Heart: Anahata||Heart, circulatory system, blood||Sun||gold|
|4||Control of emotions
Social abilities = stability = 4
|Yin : Navel||Digestive system: 2nd phase assimilation,||Venus||copper|
|3||Work = Business = masonry = 3||Yang: Solar Plexus: Manipura||Digestive system: 1st phase: digestion||Mercury||mercury|
|2||Sexual energy = 1+1 = 2||Sex Swadhistana||Reproductive organs||Moon||silver|
|1||Physical energy, will to live, survival = basis = 1||Root Mulhadara||Spinal column, Adrenal||Earth||---|
The alchemical process is therefore, in terms of these correspondences :
|Chakras correspondences||8 - - >||7 - - >||2 - - >||3 - - >||6 - - >||4 - - >||5|
Let's draw this alchemical process on the Tree of Life model:
This is the Alchemical Great Work plan.
Note that the alchemical Great Work uses the reverse seasonal succession, contra - natural and therefore connected to spirituality.
We'll detail it, then explain what are the benefits of this spiritual exercise :
1. Details :
2. Explanation of the benefits of the Great Work's Exercise :
If you understand and practice regularly the Alchemical Great Work, several benefits will occur :
- it improves your feeling of subtle spiritual energies and auras: you feel spiritual energy better and clearer.
- it increases your resistance to psychological, magical, and karmic attacks, by repairing your aura.
- it helps replacing heart and feelings at the center of your life.
- it develops general esoteric abilities, consciousness, mental structuration, ...
Note that after having concentrated the energy in your heart, you may practice the reverse exercise, so as to balance energies : move the flow of energy from the heart to the exterior ...
And of course practice progressively and listen to your body and feelings, ...
Johann had partially understood the Great Work (Androgyny = Male/Female = Yang/yin, Spiral, Chakras, ...).
Yet, the Tree of life is lacking, introducing a wrong spiral succession:
Saturn -->Moon -->Jupiter
instead of the classical alchemical succession :
Nor any representation of the alchemical elements succession :
Nor the color change of the philosophical stone :
in relation with the spiral succession and alchemical seasons...
New : Alchemy iTest
Find out your alchemical energy !
Kabbalah and the Tree of Life
Chakras System, Pictures and Chart
Human Aura Reading and Cleansing
Elemental Magic : Fire Water Earth Air
Kabbalistic Spiritual Enlightenment
Alchemical Great Work
Contact / Questions